Saturday 28 June 2008

Wimbledon Thursday, June 26


So I did it... I took the risk... I stood in line to wait for the Wimbledon Championship matches on Thursday, June 26th. It may seem like I am making a big deal out of nothing, but you have to understand that for some this is a 24 hour process, setting up camp with a tent and small grill with friends and family in a huge car park... I took the easier, and more expensive route, that would not require me to sleep on the pavement (being as a sleepingbag was not on my list of things to pack) and stood at the turnstiles from 6am for Courtside tickets which cost me just under $100 american from 6am until just about 11. IT WAS SO WORTH IT THOUGH!
The Wimbledon championships in June, in London, are a major event. Coverage is all over the tv and steamlined throughout the Free METRO and other newspapers of the city. It's hard not to get caught up in the action. I mean, I used to take tennis lessons as a kid, but otherwise I do not usually have much interest in tennis. At Wimbledon it is a different story. These atheletes train all year in different tournaments and matches all over the world for events like this!
So lets see... which matches was I able to catch... I got to catch the tail end of Rafael Nadal's match against Ernest Gulbis. Nadal is a Spaniard who has made shockwaves on the court this season, and beat out the veteran Federer two weeks ago at the Queen's Cup championship. He is currently the guy to beat, I would say. I also saw Andy Murray, the only Brit left standing for the match, as Chris Eaton (the newbie, handsome, crowd pleasing Brit) was beat earlier in the day. Murray is good - of course I don't know him personally, but he seems a little bit stuck up - so I'm not sure that I like him that much, but from what the commentators say he is playing very well this season - so it's great to have the chance to watch him. From America, I saw Andy Roddick lose, but saw Venus Williams win an amazing game against a Brit named Keothavong. She is an intense player, and quite intimidating at 6'1", but very fashionable as she wears her and her sister's tennis clothing line to the matches, along with large hoop earrings and a white headband with her hair perfectly curled. It's really an interesting event to be at, as making an impression is also very important to each players popularity.
The evening ended quite late with some cooler, more windy weather... but overall the day was beautiful and very much worth the wait in line. I would recommend it to anyone visiting London during the match season because to see the grounds, and the matches played first hand is so phenominal!

No comments: